For the first time in Hyderabad, Pista house will serve haleem made of Chakhao (Manipur Black Rice) instead of basmati rice. Traditionally known as CHAK-HAO in Manipur, black rice has emerged as a super rich food recently due to its high nutritional value.
For centuries, black rice was forbidden for common people making it available for only Chinese royal family, especially for the emperor. That is why it is also called as FORBIDDEN RICE. However, it has also always been a part of various delicacies made in North East India.
Though black rice is grown specifically in manipur, due to it’s gaining importance and demand it is now being cultivated in other parts of India as well. Chakhao is darker and is having a special aroma and taste due to the soil condition and the immaculate environment of north east India where it is grown.
Let us know few benefits of eating Black rice
- It is gluten free
- It is a natural cleanser
- It is a gut friendly
- Black rice is Extremely rich in antioxidants, dietary fibre, iron, vitamin E and is anti-carcinogenic.
- It is lower on calories but higher in protein content as compared to white rice.
- It is also a good source of iron, vitamins, calcium, magnesium, zinc and many other nutrients.
- It is believed to lower the risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease and even help in weight loss.
MA Majeed, managing director of Pista House told, We have decided to replace it with Basmati after learning about its health benefits. But, he assured there will be no change in taste of haleem. It is just to make much healthier. Chakhao haleem will be available in diverse quantities
- single plate haleem for Rs 170 weighing 350gms
- A Family pack for Rs 690 and
- Jumbo packs of 5 kg and 10 kg will also be made available, he said.