No matter where you live, you can make this original Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani in your kitchen. Just follow. This is the most loved and admired dish of Hyderabad which need patience as you need to cook it on slow flame to achieve needed aroma and flavor.
Are you so far with me? Then let’s begin.
Recipe: Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
Ideal Accompaniments & Condiments: Cucumber Raita, Onion Raita, Mirchi Ka Saalan, Onion Rings, Lemon Wedges and Vinaigrette of Julienne Of Cabbage and Carrot Salad.
Mis En Place: (Pre-Preparation) Gather the following ingredients (As required)
- Basmati Rice
- Saffron Flavored Milk
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Red Chili Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Mace Flower (Javitri)
- Star Anise
Prepare Hara Masala Paste
(Blend Chopped Coriander + Chopped Mint + Whole Green Chilies + Add Little Water And Make A Thick Paste)
Whole Garam Masala
(Cinnamon + Cardamom + Caraway Seeds + Black Pepper Corns + Cloves)
NOW, PREPARE A MARINADE FOR CHICKEN
- Take a deep bowl. Pour Yogurt
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste
- Add Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder
- Add Hara Masala Paste
- Add Mace Flower And Star Anise
- Add Golden Color Fried Onions
- Add Lemon Juice, And Add Salt Good To The Taste
- Mix Chicken into this marinade and add oil and whole Garam Masala powder
- Mix the marinade well and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
How To Cook Basmati Rice For Biryani
- Pre soak basmati rice for 40 mins.
- Bring water to boil along with whole cardamom, cinnamon stick, Mace Flower, Star Anise, Bay Leaf, cloves, shahi zeera(Black Cumin. Also known as Himali Jeera, Kala Jeera) black pepper corns.
- When water reach boiling point, drain pre soaked rice and add to this fortified boiling water
- Let it cook until it’s 3/4th done. Usually it takes 7 to 8 minutes
- Check the grains of the rice, strain and keep it aside.
How To Cook Chicken And Give Dum
- Add ample oil in a cooking pot, so it is greased well, all over bottom
- Add marinated chicken then spread 3/4th cooked basmati rice on it
- Sprinkle roughly chopped fresh coriander and mint leaves
- Sprinkle golden brown deep fried onions
- Pour lemon juice all over the rice
- Pour saffron flavored milk
(Add 2 saffron strands to ¼th cup of warm milk)
Now, add ghee.
- Sprinkle little water all over the rice to retain moisture while cooking
(Always keep hot boiling water or vegetable stock while cooking any dish. When the recipe says add water, add the hot water. If you add normal water the cooking process will come to zero)
How To Give Dum
Knead the dough and seal the chicken vessel lid well, to avoid steam escaping.
Take a small bowl of live charcoal, seal it with aluminum foil and tear it at the edge, so that aroma of the charcoal keep coming out but retains in the sealed chicken rice pot.
Cook on a low heat for about 45 minutes.
Keep few charcoals at the top of the lid. (As the exact reason of this is still not known, but I have seen chefs practicing it from long, and the dish comes out unimaginably tasty). Alternately, dum can be given by placing the cooking pot on a high flame for first few minutes and then re-placing this pot on griddle and sim cook for some time. This procedure is followed generally to avoid chicken from sticking to the pan at bottom.
How To Eat This Awesome Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani?
- Dig in spatula from one corner and dig out with the rice and chicken. Mix well and serve hot
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and golden brown fried onions
- Serve Ideal Accompaniments and condiments suggested above
This recipe of Chicken Dum Biryani is hard to resist, easy to eat, heavy to digest (kidding). The top secret is adding the said ingredients and spices to the marinade to achieve delicacy. That’s all.
If you like this article recipe, please share it with a friend who likes dum biryani. Also, you can leave comments, feedback or suggestions in the comment box below.